Originally built on Highland Road, where Knox Hill Subdivision now stands; this Louisiana Creole plantation structure was built circa 1779 on a 1786 spanish Land Grant given to Joseph Petitepierre who was one of the original Klienpeters to arrive in East Baton Rouge parish.( petite Pierre literally translates to klein peter. In 1985 Robert H. Hodges bought and moved the house from its orginial site to 5544 Highland Road., which is 2 miles from LSU. Had he not agreed to purchase the house and move it, the house would have been demolished. It is a raised Creole plantation house with 2160 sq. ft. of liv area which included an additional designed by by famed Louisiana arch itect A. Hayes Town. This is the oldest inhabited dwelling in EBR parish. and believed to be one of the five (5) oldest homes in Louisiana. This house is listed in the United States National Register of Historic Places. The House is made of Cypress and it contains many of its original mud and moss over stakes (bousillage) walls. It is held together by pegs, not nails, using tenon and mortise construction. the attic contains a Norman truss. The roof is split cedar shingles. The floor plan is typical of Creole vernacular architecture with rooms arranged side by side, with no corridors. The floors are the original odd-planked cypress boards. It contains the original double-sided fireplaces. The ceilings are 10.5 feet high. There is a large front porch(Gallery) that is 38.5 feet by 11 feet wide over-looking Highland Road. The 2 bedrooms in the addition are both en suites with a shared baloncy overlooking Bayou Fountain. The entire house in central AC/ Heat. In 1989 the American National Trust began a contest to acknowledge preservation efforts across the country in various categories The Josepf Petitepierre (Klienpeter) House won first, overall grand prize of this contest as the best renovated home in AMERICA! The contest results were featured in Preservation Magazine!